If you’ve recently moved to Tennessee or plan to take up residence in this the state, get your address updated or changed with the TN DOR (Department of Revenue) Vehicle Services Division and the TN DOS (Department of Safety) Driver Services Division.
Here you will find out how to change the address on your vehicle title, vehicle registration, identification card, and driver’s license when moving to Tennessee.
Changing Address with the Tennessee Department of Safety
You are supposed to inform a Driver Service in Tennessee within ten days of updating your address.
While getting a new ID or driver’s license is not obligatory, you can still request a replacement card (the process of renewing or replacing ID/driver’s license will be explained in the section below).
Here’s what is needed when updating an address:
- Date of birth
- Full name
- Social Security number (SSN)
- Driver’s license or ID number
- New county
- Old and new address
Upon processing a new address, it will take up to 15 business days to update DOS records. Please note that the address on the vehicle registration and title will not be changed when updating the address with Tenessee DSD (Driver Services Division).
The address can be changed in person or online through e-services and by mail. Let’s check out each of these options.
Change Your Address In Person
If you want to to change your address this way, you will need to go to an office within the Driver Services Division in Tennessee and:
- Fill in the Change of Address form (it can be picked up at the DSD).
- Collect the above-listed information (date of birth, full name, SSN, driver’s license or ID number, new county, old and new address)
At Self-Services Kiosks
All you need to do is:
- Go to a nearby self-service kiosk
- Update your address by following the on-screen prompts
To get a license reflecting updates created, consider restarting a transaction and renewing your driver’s license. Alternatively, you can request a duplicate driver’s license. Just make sure you aren’t in a renewal period. You will receive a new driver’s license to either your address or mail after paying a fee and when the transaction gets completed.
Change Your Address through e-Services
If you decide to change your address through e-services, you will have to:
- Fill in the required fields on the e-Services website
- Click on the “Change Your Address” and keep following the prompts
If you want the changes to be visible on your new license, get back to the service list and request a duplicate license or renew your old license. Your new license is going to be sent to your updated address or mail immediately after paying a fee.
Change Your Address By Mail
Updating records with a new address by mail involves providing the information like:
- Driver License Number
- Social Security Number (SSN)
- Full name
- Date of birth
- County of the new address
- New address and the old one appearing on your current driver’s license
Also, you can go to a driver service center in Tennessee and take a Change of Address form. Send this form or the notification of your address change (it must include the aforementioned information) to:
TN DEPT OF SAFETY & HOMELAND SECURITY
Address: 1148 Foster Ave, Nashville, TN 37243, United States
ATTN: LICENSE RECORDS
Your driving record is going to take about 15 business days to get updated. Updates on address change will appear on your driving record (not your actual driver’s license) on file with the DOS. If you want the changes to be added on your new license, go to the service list and demand a duplicate license or get your old license renewed. Make sure not to be within a renewal period. After paying a fee, your updated license will be sent to your address/mail. Also you can check your TN driver’s license status via official online service.
Changing TN Address and Associated Fees
ID Cards & Driver’s License
In order to get an ID card or new license that contains your updated TN address, you’ll have to pay some fees, such as:
- ID card/Driver’s license fees:
- $8 for the first duplicate
- $12 for subsequent duplicates
- Commercial driver’s license (CDC) fees:
- $12 for the first duplicate
- $16 for subsequent duplicates
- Temporary Driver’s license or ID fees:
- $19.50 for all duplicates
What Forms of Payment are Accepted?
DOR and DOD offices operating in Tennessee accept everything from money, checks, and cash orders to Discover, VISA, and MasterCard debit/credit cards.
Only money and checks orders are accepted when it comes to mail order transactions. If you want to mail a check, be sure to call a local clerk’s office in Tennessee and ask: “Who is the money payable to?”
As for the online transactions, keep in mind that the accepted forms of payment only include Discover, VISA, and MasterCard debit/credit cards.
Perhaps you are planning to move in the near future. There are three different scenarios possible:
- Moving within Tennessee
- Moving to TN from Another State
- Moving From TN to Another State
You might be wondering what’s needed to get a new driver’s license. Let’s shed some light on each of these cases.
I Will Move Within Tennessee: What’s Needed?
After your move within Tennessee, you’ll have ten days to get your license updated with a new address. Basically, you’ll have 3 options to choose from when updating an address:
- Send a mail to the Tennessee Dept of Safety & Homeland Security. It should contain information like your date of birth, full name, social security number (SSN), the number of your driver’s license, as well as your current and former home address.
- Complete an online form regarding the change of address. You will need to provide the last four digits of your SSN and the number of your current TN license, among other things. So, have these documents at hand.
- Visit a Driver Services Center in-person and complete a form related to the change of address.
What information should you provide when ordering a driver’s license with your updated address?
As mentioned above, you will need to provide:
- Your date of birth
- Current and former address
- Your identification card number or driver’s license
- Social security number (SSN)
What info should you provide when updating your TN vehicle registration?
It only involves completing and providing the Change Of Address Form. It should be completed within ten days of the move.
What’s the cost of a TN change of address?
While you will pay nothing when updating your address in Tennessee, a replacement of your license will cost you $15.
I Will Move to TN from Another State: What Will I Need?
How to get an updated driver’s license?
Former residents of the state of Tennessee need to visit a TN Driver Services Center to get their new driver’s license with an updated address. Please note that it’s impossible to handle it over the telephone or online.
As a new resident to the state, you will be eligible for a new license if you have no cancellation, revocation, or suspensions of your out of state driver’s license. Additionally, you will not be able to get a new driver’s license if an outside court or Tennessee DMV considered you unsafe or unfit to drive.
Here’s documentation you should bring with you when visiting the Tennessee DMV:
- Your current out of state driver’s license
- Application for a TN Driver’s License
- Proof of Tennessee residency
- Proof of identity
- Proof of Temporary Legal Presence, Proof of US Citizenship, or Proof of Lawful Permanent Residency (Green Card)
- Proof of SSN (Social Security Number)
In case the name on the proof of identity documentation is not the same as the name on the driver’s license, the applicant is required to provide proof of name change like a divorce decree and marriage license.
Are there associated fees?
You will have to pay $26 for a new driver’s license and $2 for your application, too.
What’s the deadline for getting a TN driver’s license?
Once you change your address and establish residency, you will need to handle it in no more than 30 days. To find out whether you are a resident officially, visit the Tennessee DMV if you’re intending to:
- Start a business in another state
- Live in the state of Tennessee seven or more months a year
- Get employed in Tennessee
- Get registered to vote in Tennessee
Do I need to pass a driving test when changing my address?
No, you don’t need as long as your out of state license is valid. However, you’ll be required to pass a DMV’s eye test.
What’s the deadline for updating a vehicle’s registration?
Once you’ve established residency, you will be required to register your car within 30 days.
What do new residents of Tennessee need in order to update their vehicle’s registration?
They should visit a County Clerk’s office near them to get their vehicle’s registration updated. Listed below are the documents they need to bring with them:
- Proof of residency and identity
- Current out of state registration
- Certificate of successful emission testing
- Out-of-state title in case of no lienholder, OR the address and name of the lienholder
Are there registration fees?
New residents of Tennessee need to pay $26.50 to register non-commercial vehicles.
I Am Going to Move From TN to Another State: What I Need?
Shall I notify any institution in Tennessee before I move to another US state with my registered vehicle?
Shall I notify any institution in Tennessee before I move to another US state without my registered vehicle?
No. Your Tennessee driver’s license will be canceled automatically when receiving an out-of-state driver’s license.
Shall I return my TN license plates?
It isn’t required either, but you may give them back if you wish so.